Dec 19, 2020
What are gold karats and what is the difference between 24K vs 22K vs 18K vs white gold

The term used to measure the purity of gold is called Karat. And like anything that shimmers is not gold — not all kinds of gold are equal. There are main categories of gold — 24k, 22k, and 18k gold. This karat unit used measures the purity of gold. In simple terms, the higher the karatage, the purer the gold. Let’s take an overview:
 

24K gold
24k gold is often referred to as pure gold. Why’s that? All 24 parts in the gold are pure. There are no other traces of any other metals. However, it is 99.9% pure and has a distinct bright yellow color. When you go to a dealer in Riyadh, make sure to keep this in mind. You may hear people selling 25K or 26K gold, which doesn’t exist in practice. 24K gold is more expensive than 22K or 18K gold. 
 
But this form of gold is lesser in density and thus is soft and pliable. As compared to the gold of a lower karatage, it is not suited for regular jewelry forms. One can invest or buy coins and bars of 24K gold purity. Apart from jewelry, 24K gold is used in electronics and medical devices. Some kids are fitted with gold tympanostomy tubes which improve the aeration of the middle ear. 24K gold price in Riyadh (per unit or tola): 221.33 SAR approx. as on DEC12, 2020. 
 

22K gold
22K gold jewelry indicates that 22 parts of the jewelry amount to gold. In this case, the balance of the two parts are some other metals. 22k is most commonly used in jewelry making. To recapitulate in 22k gold — only 91.67% is pure gold. The remaining 8.33% is made of metals like silver, zinc, nickel, and other alloys. This helps in making the gold harder, and so the jewelry is more durable. 
 
While 22k is ideally used for plain gold jewelry, it is not preferable for diamonds and heavily studded jewellery. 22K gold price in Riyadh (per unit or tola): 202.88 SAR approx. as on DEC12, 2020.
 

18K gold
18K gold is 75% gold mixed with 25% miscellaneous metals. These may be copper or silver etc. Most of the heavier diamond or stone studded jewelry is made in 18K gold. This is also less expensive compared to 24K and 22K. The gold tone is slightly dull. 
 
One can easily recognize the jewelry because it is stamped with 18K, 18Kt, 18k, or a variation like these. It can also be marked 750, 0.75, or a stamp. 18K gold price in Riyadh (per unit or tola): 165.99 SAR approx. as on DEC12, 2020.
 

White gold
White gold is a form of gold where the whitish color is achieved by adding nickel or palladium. White gold jewelry is additionally coated in a precious metal known as rhodium, which comes from the same metal family as platinum.
 
Eventually, with time, all white gold jewelry begins to show a yellow gold color. This depends on many factors, such as your skin’s pH level and what toiletries or household chemicals the jewelry comes into contact with. The level of air pollution can also impact the changing color.
 
If you are looking for used jewellery you may find a few here: https://www.zeaara.com/classifieds/fashion.html
 
You can also try our ‘Verify Before Purchase’ service. For a fee of SAR 30, we will verify the authenticity of the jewellery for you.
https://www.zeaara.com/verification-service.html
×
Sign in
Username
Password
Forgot your password? Remind